I did something else this weekend that I haven't done in years. I was blog surfing about two or three weeks ago and I landed in a blog in England, I think it was, or at least somewhere in Europe. The blog belongs to a young woman with two small children one of whom is autistic and that is what caught my attention. In one of her postings she wrote about wash day and had pictures of her sheets hanging outside. Those pictures triggered lots of memories from my childhood and early married life. Of course my mother dired clothes on a line for most of her life and I used a clothes line some when I was first married. We had a dryer as newly weds but I still used a clothes line from time to time. The clothes smelled wonderful!!! I decided it would be wonderful to smell clothes like that again. Especially the sheets on the bed. So I found a clothes line online and bought it. It is one of those round clothes lines that has one post in the middle with hanging lines all around. I used it today and the clothes had that wonderful smell of fresh wash from my childhood! But let me tell you what I didn't remember about drying clothes on the line. I didn't remember how much work it is to get those wet clothes to the line. Those suckers are heavy! And my washer is downstairs in the basement. The basement door to the outside is blocked off by my DH's tools and motorcycle so I had to drag that bag of wet clothes up the basement steps and outside to the line. For a few minutes there, I was trying to think of something else to do with that new clothes line. Cover it with fabric and use it as an umbrella. No, we already have two of those. Hang fresh herbs to be dried. That's really hard to do without fresh herbs. Since I couldn't think of any better use for it, I'll just have to figure out how to get wet clothes to the line again. One secret may be to do only small loads of wash. Whatever, I've already invested in the line and besides, the clothes do smell heavenly. Can't wait to dry my sheets outside and have my bed smelling like my mama's beds used to. I know you can't go home again but maybe, just maybe I can put my head on that sweet smelling pillow, close my eyes and pretend myself to sleep. Have a wonderful week and God Bless.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Weekend visitor
Cassie came to visit this weekend! I wanted to take her to a fall festival or pumpkin patch or something fun this weekend but I couldn't roust anyone out of bed to go with us Saturday morning--so, we just had a quite weekend at home. For some reason, the thing she enjoyed most was the bathtub. I guess since the pool is closed the bathtub was the next best thing. Wanted to have her picture made this weekend but that didn't work out either so I just took some photos of her in the bathtub. Modesty forbids that you see the full shots but here are the best parts. You can see why I call her my "Doll Baby".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Your granddaughter is a cutie!
I love hanging clothes on the line. I don't have to climb stairs like you do, but I do consider it good exercise which in my mind is a bonus. Be careful on those stairs though.
I was reading on some web site that you are spending $15 a month on electricity if you run your clothes dryer 1 hour a day, $30 a month for 2 hours a day etc.
Think of the savings and the workout your getting! Not to mention they smell so good and it's a Green thing to do.:O)
Thanks, Milah! She is really a blessing. You're right about the "green thing", also,-which is good- and the savings is important in this economy. Just got to keep myself motivated to get 'er done. Thanks
SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!! Kids love playing in the tub (and getting water all over your floor--but who cares???). I love to do things with them that they'll remember and she will definitely remember being able to play with the paint soap in your tub. About the clothesline...I had one for years that I used for sheets and even towels (although they were a bit hard) but the smell....I WANT ANOTHER ONE! I'll have to get Shawn (my son-in-law) to put that on my list for him to do.
Sharon:
Love your blog and so glad I discovered it after you left a comment on another blog. Funny how that works! Your granddaughter is precious! We have two doxies that look very much like yours!
Judy
Oops ... I forgot to ask for that zucchini crescent casserole you mentioned at StitchinByTheLake.
That little one is so precious. My precious Bella loves to play in the bath too. Sometimes the days spent at home turn out to be nice too. Glad you got to enjoy your visitors. I really like the picture on the top of your blog. Connie
Post a Comment