Thursday, October 9, 2008

Old dishes and Chicken and Dressing

I made a few pictures today of some of my old dishes. Here is a bowl from my mother-in-law that I found in her cabinets when we cleaned out her house. There are four small bowls with it making them look to be a salad bowl set.

The back is stamped with just one word: "Bavaria" I don't know what that means. Here is my grandfather's mustashe mug. He was 96 or 98 when he died in the early '50s.


I have lots of roosters and chickens scattered throughout my house - lamps, pictures, on dishes and even this cute couple on my mantle. My friend, Judy, gave me the hen which is actually a cook jar and my hubby gave me the rooster which has no other function than to look good with the hen. I just love chickens!


Sorry this picture is a little blurry but I still don't know how to operate my camera to its maximum potential. Now for some little birdhouses that hubby makes and I paint and decorate. When I retire, this will be fun to do again.


This little house is on my first porch and then a little closer picture to see the detail. It is really fun to add all the detail. Hubby makes the signs and I paint and letter them. He even made an old chest type coke case like we used to have when I was a child. It's on a different store. As you can see, I don't know how to get two pictures on the same row so this is a long post.


One more thing for tonight. I found a recipe for crockpot chicken and dressing that I tried night before last. It was wonderful!! And great to have chicken and dressing ready to eat when I got home for work. Since I altered the original recipe, I think I can lay claim to this one as my own. If you try it, leave me a note and let me know how you liked it.

Crockpop Chicken and Dressing
4-6 chicken breasts, cooked
2 skillets of cornbread
2-3 rolls or biscuits, or hamburger buns
1 medium onion, chopped
4-5 celery limbs (or whatever you call them) chopped fine
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 stick, margarine, melted
2 cans of chicken broth
salt to taste
Mix together cornbread, rolls, onion, celery, one can of cream of chicken soup, melted butter, 2 cans of chicken broth, and salt.
Make a layer of half the remaining can of cream of chicken soup in the bottom of a large crock pot. Top with a layer of dressing. Top dressing with half of the chicken, shredding it as you put it in. Top with dressing, remaining chicken, and remaining dressing. Spread other half of cream of chicken soup over top. Cover and cook on low for at least 3 - 4 hours.
I cooked it all day and it was fine. No eggs means it has a little less body than my traditional dressing but basically it is the same. I don't like sage so I never put sage in my dressing but if you like sage, add it.
Have a wonderful day tomorrow and God bless!
S.




5 comments:

Apryl said...

I would like to be first in line for one of those bird houses. Beautiful.

Sharon said...

You're on my list. Hubby will be tickled you like them. He enjoys making them. Thanks

Zaroga said...

I love the rose pattern. Some of my collectibles have rose patterns.

The bird houses are super looking. Quite a talent.

I don't particularly like dressing, but I have a husband that loves it. Maybe one day I'll try this recipe. I know what celery limbs are :-)

I started my personal blog today. Very hard to think of what to say :-)

Sharon said...

Glad to hear you have started your personal blog. You'll soon be having a blast with it. Let me know where it is and I'd like to read it. Glad you liked the bird house. Hubby will be very happy, too.

Zaroga said...

Thank you for the encouragement. It is: http://zarogasnook.blogspot.com/.