Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Blue speckled roasting pan

Tonight I started using a new speckled roasting pan. Doesn't seems like such a monumental thing but the old one was about 30 - 35 years old so we were old friends. It was a permanent fixture in my kitchen and has seen many a Christmas turkey and Easter ham. I think I even bathed one of my babies and both my grandbabies in that pan at least once when they were newborns. It has a small hole in the bottom that I found a couple of weeks ago when I was making scuppernong jelly. So, I'm not throwing it away. Don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it but something special - it has served well. I really love old dishes. In fact, I guess you could say I collect them. I have some Jewel Tea pieces of my Aunt's, a huge Homer Laughlin platter with what I think was called the Cabbage Rose pattern, a couple of tea cups that are stamped "Made in Occupied Japan", and a few other pieces that are old but if they are of special note to anyone but me, I don't know about it. I have my grandmother's biscuit bowl, an aunt's white serving platter, my husband's grandmother's daily dishes, lots of old pieces and I use them all. Old dishes just seems to shout love from every little crack. In thrift stores, yard sales, antique stores, I'd rather buy old dishes than most anything else. I always relate to that loving mother or grandmother setting the table and preparing the meals for her family and I guess that is sort of what I feel about that old roasting pan. It really represents a life style and a time in life that I loved. I was going to post a picture of it but the battery is dead in my camera so I'll have to add it later. I'll add some pictures of some of my old dishes, too. By the way, I see I have a "follower" and she has some of the same interests as I do. Thanks for reading my blog. Hope you will leave me a note -- not that I would know how to read it. I'll figure it out sooner or later. Till later. S.

2 comments:

Zaroga said...

Well here goes a comment for you and I hope you figure out how to read it.

Perhaps the old roasting pan can become home to a flower arrangement. Or if you have the counter space in your kitchen... your favorite cookbooks could nestle in it. It has such a history that it needs to stay around a while longer.

No jelly for us this year. Someone stole the grapes. We live in Albany Georgia and the grapes grow on my parent's old homestead near Newton Georgia which is about 35 miles away. We have a few jars from last year still.

My eyes perked up at the mention of "biscuit bowl". I have never had a real one. Mine is but a agatized wood salad bowl. My Mama has a huge wood biscuit bowl that a lot of good biscuits have been made in.

I collect Made In Japan and Made In Occupied Japan salt & pepper shakers and figurines. I have had to slow down because there is no room to put them any more.

I hope you post pictures of all the lovely things you've mentioned.

For now I only have my recipe blog, but may eventually venture into other parts of my every day life.

Sharon said...

Thank you for your kind comments. I did figure out how to find our comment but now I'm not sure how to get my response to you. I love the idea of using the roasting pan to store my cook books which just happen to be another thing I collect. I just love cookbooks and have quite a few of them. You are correct, also, that collectibles take a lot of space and I'm running out of room, too. More pictures coming later. Thanks again.