Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bound to Glory

Last night was choir practice. I've been singing in the choir since I was 12 years old so I've got lots of songs tucked away in my heart. One of the songs we practiced last night had a phase that said "I am bound for glory" and "won't you come and go there with me". I've had that stuck in my head all day. Over and over, my brain has sung that same little phrase. At some point it occured to me that that little bit of melody and words had lifted my spirits all day. I am bound for glory!
I don't usually memorize the music but there will be a pharse or the refrain or something that I really like and relate to and it will be in my head for ages! There are some of those in my head from the time I was 12 years old. Over the years, I have gotten through many a rough stretch with the help of that music in my head. No, I'm not nuts (not too badly anyway) but you know what I mean. I know you've had tunes stuck in your brain, too. From my youth, I have learned many of the scriptures by singing them over and over as music. I can remember one particularly bad period in my life when it seemed my whole life was falling apart. One night I woke in the middle of the night filled with anguish and my mind was singing, even before I woke, "though the earth be removed and the mountains be carried into the mist of the sea. Be still and know that I am God." At once I understood that there was nothing in or of this world that separated me from God or changed Him in any way. He knew where I was, He knew what I felt, He knew what I needed, and He would take care of me. I felt comforted and I felt new strength every time I thought of that phrase. And, I learned what that scripture really meant from the situation I was in at the time. I don't believe there was anything random about that event. I had not consciously thought about that song in years but when I needed it, God brought it back to me. You know, God is so good!! I hope you have a few songs in your heart, too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like God speaks to you through music. This summer God used a white dove and the song "On the Wings of a Dove" to speak comfort to my mother who was loseing her husband to cancer. I believe those songs in your head are words from God.
Nice post.

Sue said...

SO TRUE! I know God uses various ways to speak to us and to help us remember that He is is control. Maybe we'd be much better if we'd remember to "keep a song in our heart" at all times.

Zaroga said...

Thank you for visiting me, Sharon. I'm still not sure I have my blog the way I want it just yet.

This is a wonderful post. I do think God speaks to us through music. I wish I had a music talent besides listening to it :-)

Zaroga said...

Cassie is so cute! You took great pictures of her.

I used our clothesline up until about 10 years ago.. my achy back (I even used a wagon to get the clothes to the line). It seldom gets used any more. I sometimes hang rugs or my quilt on it. The quilt is too big for the dryer... but the washer I have now can handle the quilt. That is what happens when the washer dies before the dryer. I keep hoping for a new dryer :-) Every night when I pull the sheet up.. I try to remember how they used to smell when hung upon the line once upon a time.