Any one who listened to the news reports at all last week had to come into this weekend with a little feeling of uncertainty. The sky is falling we are told, but I really think God is in charge of the sky and He has kept it in place for quite a long time. The Stock Market however, is another matter. Our parents were correct. We should not buy what we can't pay for. We should save for the future and we should be good stewards of the gifts God gives us. So what did we do this weekend? We bought a motorhome!!?$** Can you believe that! I could have gone the rest of my life without doing that and been a happy camper in our paid for fifth wheel, but DH just had to have a motorhome. I've been able to distract and postpone him for over a year but of all times, this weekend he "found the deal". The thing costs five times what we paid for our house 36 years ago. We will probably not live to have it paid off. It's forty feet long and we'll have to buy another car to tow. I can't imagine how many motorhome parts and towed car parts we will leave scattered between here and where ever we go. And, to top that off, when I retire in two hundred and forty something days, my income will be almost half of what it is now. By the way, does DH stand for "dear husband" or "damn husband" or maybe "dumb husband". I guess we get to take our pick. I am just too terrified of the financial obligation to even think of enjoying it right now. But to be fair, if we are able to use it to show David a little of this country, it will be worth it. David will never read and so learning history is a verbal matter for him. I'd love to show him Jamestwon, Virginia, and Williamsburg, Philadelphia and Independence Hall and maybe the Rocky Mountains and the Alamo. Do you know how much diesel fuel costs? And the thing only get 8 miles per gallon. Did I say we should be good stewards of God's gifts? At least there is a historic park about ten miles from us. We might can afford to go there a couple of times a year. Pray for our country and while you're at it, say a little prayer for me, too. Till later, God Bless.
S.
4 comments:
LOL... love it! My DH needed a new truck in 2004 to haul our then 23' travel trailer. We were pretty much tripping over each other in the 23 footer. So February.. I think that was the month.. of last year it was time to look for a newer model. He didn't want to go to a motor home because that would mean buying a small car to tow and getting rid of the truck he loves so much. The travel trailer had to have a slide out.. which by the way he had hated the thought of for several years because they "can be a problem". I told him he could have any travel trailer he wanted.. just make sure it was what he wanted because it was going to be our last. He picked out a 32' travel trailer. It has had its problems, but I think on our long vacation (78 days) we got all of them ironed out. Our truck is diesel and fuel cost us well over $5 a gallon in some places... I think $4.69 was the cheapest. We almost didn't take the trip, but said.. what the heck and went anyway. We had a blast on that trip. We're now saving up for the next big trip. I hope you get to take your grandchildren on a few trips... even if the trips are close to home... yes, I'll keep you in my prayers if you'll do the same for me :-)
ps
I like how you decorated your blog. I need to take some time to do a little decorating too.... this reply is waaay too long. I'll try to make it shorter in the future.
Glad to hear that even though fuel was out of sight, you had a blast on your trip. If we can make two long trips and some shorter weekend trips throughout the year, it may be worth it. And thanks for noticing my new background, too. It took me all night to figure out how to do that. Don't worry about how long the response is; I always enjoy reading them. I'll try to post some pictures of the new RV when we get it this weekend. Have a great week!
Sharon,
I am going to get Jane for not telling me that you are blogging! I have tried to get her into it but she says she doesn't have time! I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! I'm so glad you put a picture of Judy because I've heard about your friendship through Jane....I remember when she died. I love the chickens and roosters and can't wait to see the pictures of your new MH. By the way....someone asked me what DH stood for. I think you have it pegged....it'll be whatever mood I'm in that day! I'm going to be visiting you every day!
Sharon, I can't believe I had to learn about all of this on your blog! On top of that I didn't even know you had started a blog until I read your comment on Sue's blog. Oh My Lord! What am I going to do now!! Both of you are addicted! You certaily don't have to worry about your writing skills. You write just like you talk and I love it! You didn't even sugar coat the DH deal, I love it!! You are so-o-o resilient, I don't think any thing can keep you down. Love you girl! Talk to you tomorrow.
Jane
Post a Comment