Saturday, June 20, 2009

Yorktown Battlefield

This is a view of the York River as you enter the Yorktown area. Hard to imagine plantation home sites in the distance but that is what was there according to the signs. What a view for each morning cup of coffee. Can you see the schooner sailing on the York River. You can take a ride on this ship if you want.















The battlefield is a 16 mile tour through the national park. All along the way you get history lessons. I loved it! The major part of the battle of Yorktown took place in this field which is just outside the visitor's center. I don't understand a lot of the war stuff, but I'm assuming from what I saw yesterday, basically the British were on one side of the field and the Americans and French were on the other side of the field just shooting cannon balls at each other. Amazing to me! This row of cannons if from the American side and you can see the mounds of earth built up to protect the soldiers. I'm sure the camera is putting on about 20 lbs. for me!! (hahaha) . This is the National Cemetery in Yorktown where I think about 2000 soldiers are buried. Only 600 or so were identified. All through the cemetery you see markers for "4 unidentified US soldiers "or sometimes "2 unidentified US soldiers." These were mostly Union soldiers killed in Yorktown. I looked for some of our ancestors but didn't find any. I know Pop has one ancestor that fought in the Revolutionary War but I think he wasn't killed - at least he wasn't here!!! Next is the very spot on which Washington has his headquarters. And here's a shot of the earth mounds used for protection. I can't remember what these were called but there were lots of them. The last photo is of the American fighting position. Lots more pics for family when we get home for now these will have to do. I'm sure I've butchered the American History so please forgive me where I've faulted. Have a great weekend and God bless.

2 comments:

Zaroga said...

Sharon when we lived in Virginia Yorktown was our favorite place to go for a day trip.

YaYa's Funhouse said...

How is Harley and Stonewall?