Saturday, June 20, 2009

Jamestown Island and Yorktown

We have been really busy seeing the sights which has made it difficult to find time for blogging and besides that the internet connection here just doesn't want to upload my pictures. First, let me take back a little of my harsh comments about this park. The first morning we were here, we stopped by the office and asked if we could be moved to a pull-thru spot closer to the grassy areas. The park owner allowed us to do that and it is like a different world. Plenty of grass for the puppies and some space separating us from the neighbors. There is more electrical power toward the front of the park and the internet is better though not excellent. We have been very pleased with the park since we were moved. In fact so pleased that we extended our stay another five days! I'd say that is really good. So, I recommend if you decide to stay in American Heritage RV Park in Williamsburg - make sure you get a pull thru site- preferably near the end of the row so you have access to grassy areas.
We have been to Jamestown Island and Yorktown and I want to share some pictures of both places. We REALLY enjoyed our visit to both places and especially enjoy the actual historical sites rather than "recreations". We are saving those for next week. Pictures first from Jamestown Island. This is the view from the bridge that connects Jamestown Island to the mainland. In 1607, when the first colony was established an isthmus of land connected the "island" to the mainland excatly where the bridge is located but the isthmus was washed away in the 1700's. I for one, never realized how marshy and wet the area of the first colony was. Just dumb on my part; after all, the original colonist got here by ship and they didn't have lots of cars to go anywhere! According to the information posted along the way, the first to arrive thought this the best forest area they had even seen. And then they began almost immediately to cut away the forest. I'll have to say that someone let a lot of it re-grow because every where you go there is forrest. We drove a loop around the island that has historic markers all along the loop. Nothing but trees and marsh! I actually heard the wind rustling through trees like I haven't heard since I was a child. And the aroma of the air, oh my, wonderful!!! I've never smelled anything like it. It is a sweet smell but not too sweet. Pop says it just smells clean to him but there is a sweetness to it as well. If I had to say, I think it comes primarily from the cedar trees which are huge in the area. As you can see, water, marshes, and forrest everywhere. Six out of seven died from disease and indians. The indians practiced gorilla warfare and the settlers came equipped with guns that took 30 seconds or more to load. Indians could fire 10 arrows in that amount of time so the settlers were easy targets. Gives you a whole new appreciation for the toughness of the first settlers. As we toured the island this is the typical view; water and cattails or forrest. As we drove we came upon a little trail that lead to three marked burial sites. Amazingly, the graves were from the 1600's. It was a husband and wife and someone else but I don't remember who. One of the graves had a skull and crossbones on the marked. I'm sure these were modern markers because they were metal. There were other graves in the area but they were unmarked. The wife was 33 at the time of her death and left four children. The husband was 43 - if I remember correctly. I would highly recommend this little trip for anyone interested in American history. As interesting and amazing as this little bit of history is, the American Revolution is even more interesting to me. The next day which was yesterday - we were on to tour Yorktown. I'll do that trip in a separate post.

No comments: