Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pilot Mountian, Laurel Hills and the quarry

Today we visited Pilot Mountain State Park which is a really nice park to visit. To get to the observation deck you drive straight up for what seemed a long time and then parked. There was an observation point at the parking lot but there was a trail to walk up, up, and up to get to the top. Now you know I have a thing about heights so I really didn't want to do the up, up, up walk anyway and boy was I glad when a little storm rolled in and we headed for the car. It really is a nice place to visit. Here are some pictures.
This is the characteric top of Pilot Mountain. Pop took these pictures from the observation platforms. Here is the view of the valley below.
Is that not something!!! Remember, Pop took all these pictures. I wouldn't get close enough to the edge to make pictures. We were soaring with the eagles up here.
Can you see the eagle? Then on to Laurel Hills and the quarry.
There are no buildings at Laurel Hills but the house and kitchen areas are roped off so that you can see where they were. From the home site the views are awesome! In the back of the property is the slave graveyard and an overlook of the Ararat River.
I really enjoyed our visit to Laurel Hills. When I was a child I lived for a short while in what is now a historic home built by slaves before the Civil War. The layout of Laurel Hills reminded me of that house except Laurel hills is on top of a hill and the house I lived in was on level ground. Expansive fields surround the house spot and would give a child so much room for play.
This is the largest open quarry in the world and visible from space, so I'm told. Of all we've done this visit to the quarry was my least favorite. That's it for today. If I get all this to upload I'm blessed. Until tomorrow - God bless.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Sharon,
Looks like you are having a wonderful time. I don't like heights either...I would have been hanging on to something for dear life!!! Be careful and have fun!

squawmama said...

Hi Sharon... Like you I haven't been blogging to much lately... But I am trying to get back in the swing of things... Congrats on your retirement... I know you're excited. I have read several of your trips post and it looks like such fun. We haven't headed out this year but will be around July
1st. My daughter is getting married next Friday so it kinda kept us home. Have safe travels...

(((HUGS)))
Donna