Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt Pilot, Laurel Hills and more

We have been seeing the sights here in and around Mt Airy! Yesterday we drove a little on the Blue Ridge Parkway. What beautiful sights from along the mountain tops. I was amused that some of the "scenic overlooks" didn't overlook anything because the trees have grown so high they obstruct the view. Every once in a while the trees part and clearing allows you to see for miles. We came upon this little park and observation deck on Groundhog Mountain in Virginia. As afraid of heights as I am, I just had to go up the steps.. Just look at the view!
You can see for miles from here. By the way, we've had storms everyday but that hasn't stopped our sight seeing. A little further down the road from this viewing tower we came to Maubry's Mill. I was told it was one of the most photographed grist mills in the US. I was able to walk through the mill and the park but we had the puppies so Pop stayed in the car with them. They could have gone on the trail with us but Stonewall was not walking well yesterday. Here's the mill.

I'm not the best at taking pictures and I didn't get the angle to show you the water on the wheel but believe me, it was there. In fact, they are grinding corn and buckwheat inside. Just for demonstration though - not for consumption.

Today was Pilot Mt. , Laurel Hills where JEB Stuart was born and the granite quarry. I probaby need to do two postings to get the pictures in so let me stop here and do another posting for those pictures.

No comments: