We arrived here in Williamsburg, VA yesterday around 2PM their time. Got an early start and since it was Sunday there was little traffice with which to contend so we had a wonderful drive --until! Until we were directed by Ms. Garmin to exit onto a toll road. Toll was not the worst part; I bet that sucker was half a mile up in the air! And the sides were built up to only about 2 feet (that's my husband's estimate, not mine). You know the issues I have with bridges and height; on my, panic city was not the word for it. I started out of my seat in the front when Pop said, "What are you doing?"! He won't admit it but that bridge was daunting to him as well. So I strapped myself back in the seat not wanting to dessert him in our hour of need. After what seems a long time we came to the toll booth on the top of the bridge! Pop says, "Get out and pay him", handing me his billfold. I took the billfold but just sat there thinking, "Not on your life, Buster. I'm not getting out". Suddenly a sign caught my eye. It said, "Please stay in vehicle". Well, that was enough for me. I told him the sign said stay in the vehicle and I didn't think it would be taken well if I got out. Finally the man in the toll booth motioned him forward a little and assured Pop that he could reach the window. Thankfully, Pop pulled forward to pay the toll. It cost $4.75 to have the you-know-what scared out of me! I'll avoid toll bridges at all cost from now on.
We are staying at American Heritage RV Park in Williamsburg but we are only about 10 miles or so from the historic part of Williamsburg. This park has one of the highest rating I've seen on the internet but we have been very disappointed in it. We are crammed into a back- in spot in the very back of the park though we requested a pull-thru. There are many pull-thru spots vacant but they were being held for reservations. We have two dogs and this is supposed to be a dog friendly park but there is really no place to walk them back here unless we get in the car and take them up to the park entrance. This is the first park we have been in that did not have grassy common areas for pets (or children). Even the poor State Parks we've used in Alabama had more space and grass. Lesson learned, we will not visit this park again. Interior roads are not paved so we have dust or mud. Today is mud. Power voltage just barely adequate to run one air conditioner. The park has nothing to do with this but the weather forecast calls for rain all week. We'll be doing a little sightseeing in the rain. Good thing I love to sleep in the rain! Till later - God bless.
4 comments:
Glad to see you're out enjoying America now. I feel the same way as you about height and water. When we took the grands to Williamsburg, we stay at a KOA, it was very pricy and a long way from Williamsburg. Too late now , but there was a fairly nice campground right by the outlet mall there. But that was in 2003, so who knows what's going on there now....We just left Stephen Foster Folk Center, one of the best campgrounds in FL. We always stay in the Caneback section. We, the dog and 3 grands are now in route to Savannah, GA. I'm going to do a post soon about our trip so far. Hope you enjoy Williamsburg. We did the whole touristy thing while there and loved every minute of it.
You take care and have a safe trip.
Enjoy the ride,
Chris
Frank read your post first and was wondering exactly where this bridge is... he can't bring it to mind. He used to know the area pretty well.
You should have seen some of the highly rated places we stayed in on our trip last year. I think someone gets cash in the pocket to give the places a high rating :-)
Despite your scares and not-so-great rv parks I hope you are having a great time.
I will have surgery on Wednesday so it will be a while before I visit you again.
Williamsburg is so fun! I loved going to Williamsburg pottery when we lived in Virginia(salt glazed pottery & lots of junk!).
Hi Sharon.... OK never trust your GPS 100%... I use too and learned from experience sometimes there is a better route... (Ha ha) We always double check our routes now...
We loved our visit to Williamsburg several years ago... a very fun & historic area for sure. When we were there we didn't have a dog but now we do so thanks for sharing that info...
We leave July 1st this summer for the start of out adventure... Looking forward to hitting the road. You guys continue to have fun and very safe travel...
(((HUGS)))
Donna
Post a Comment