Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Decorating

Finally got a little Christmas at our place. The banner picture you see at the top of the blog page is last year's Christmas tree. For all but one of the 36 years we have been here, our tree has been in front of that big window. This year I decided to clear out the corner and shove that baby in the corner so here it is.
I really like it here in the corner because I didn't have to decorate all the way around the tree. Hubby is not happy with it. He is really a traditionalist who doesn't like to change things. He may be right but if that tree goes back in front of the window it'll have to be next year. Every ornament on the tree has a history. Some were given to us by friends, some the children made over the years, some are from former students, and some we bought on vacations. There are even some that I made.
This is an ornament cover that I made on my new embrodiery machine last year. You can't read it, but the cover has the words Joy, Peace and Love all around the bottom. I thought I'd make a whole tree full of these but who knew Christmas ornament are not standard sizes. The patterns come in small, medium and large so I thought the ornaments would be small, medium or large to fit the pattern. NOT! I bought three more boxes of ornaments trying to get ornaments to fit the covers I made. Never did get there. I should have know there was a trick to it when the website I bought the embrodiery pattern from gave specific instructions- including pictures- for measuring the ornaments for size when buying them. Anyway, here is another.
This purple ornament is a lot bigger than the red one and the pattern is different, too. Since this tree has lots of history associated with the ornaments, I call this my heritage tree. Here are some other ornaments from the tree.
The Santa and the snowman peeking from behind the candy cane ribbon are balsa wood ornaments that Brian and I painted in 1972. He was three years old and that was the Christmas Joy was born (December 19). The green marbled glass ornament is one of many I did several years ago. I have them in lots of different colors but the gold and purple one is my favorite and I don't even have a picture of it.

This picture is of my "Partridge in a Pear Tree" tree. I don't know how to operate my camera very well and it didn't take a good picture of this but each ornament depicts one of the 12 days of Christmas. I'll take another picture in the daylight tomorrow so you can see this little tree. My third three I don't have a picture of yet but it is my angel tree. I have ornaments with the names of those who are in heaven that I look forward to seeing again. The other ornaments on this tree are all angels. Even some of those angel ornaments were given to me by friends. I always enjoy re-visiting the memories associated with each of my Christmas ornaments each year.

I'm tired and going to bed although my house is a wreck! Boxes and decorations litter the floors of the kitchen, living room and den but they'll just have to wait until tomorrow. I'm completely worn out decorating and trying to help Bama with that Championship game today. They looked really good but just not quite. Can't complain, though. Bama's had a great year and next year should be even better. At least we have a little Christmas here now. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a great week next week.

9 comments:

Sue said...

Sharon, It's BEAUTIFUL!! I've never seen any ornament covers but they are gorgeous. My tree is in a corner and I like not having to worry about the backside. You did good!!!

Zaroga said...

Sharon, the tree looks beautiful. A lot of beautiful history there.

Since Frank and I have lived in this house we haven't put up a full-size tree... just a table-top tree. It is a treat for me to see these full-size trees all decorated. Our house is small and there is no room for the full-size tree. I think this year all the Christmas decor will be the wreath. One has to do what the body is up to :-)

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Gm Sharon, thank you for coming by to see my outside lights. I love meeting new friends. I'm so glad I stopped by your place, And the tour with yiur Christmas tree. I have the same kind, that is all the oranaments have a memory. Your tree is beautiful, i just love the ribbon on the top streaming down the tree. Drop in anytime, you're always welcome.

Hugs,
Chris

squawmama said...

Good Morning Sharon... What a beautiful tree... You’re like me... I always decorated our tree with all the ornaments we gathered throughout the years... The ones kids made, ones we made, ones from vacations and of course we always purchased a couple of special ones each year... Now living in the motorhome all our big tree things are in storage and we decorate a small tree... but I did try to find special small ornaments still. Have a great Sunday...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Unknown said...

Sharon,
Your tree is beautiful! I love the covers you made. My mother crochets lace around her ornaments. Very pretty.

I like the angel ornament idea too. I may have to borrow that. Hand made ornaments are my favorite. Another favorite ornament of mine is from Hallmark, it always makes me laugh. It's a Lone Ranger lunch box. When my son was little he would always play Lone Ranger, but he would loudly annouce he was the "Hone Wainger!" Wonderful memories!

I can't wait to decorate but my bathroom is still under construction so hopefully next weekend. I think I'll post pictures when I do.

Have a great week!

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Sharon, I'm so glad I found your blog. We have a number of things in common. The tree is beautiful. I also love to decorate with ornaments I have collected through the years. Each one has a special memory. I love your doggies. We HAD a special doxie. He was with us for 14 years, but has been gone for 2 weeks. We miss him so much. Please share more pics of them. I'll be check in back....oh...I'm a nurse also.....

Unknown said...

I love all the sentimental and "heritage" ornaments! I have my tree in the corner this year and I've got to admit the back is pretty bare...but, hey..no one see's back there right!!?! You Grandchildren and "Harley" are Precious!

Lorrie said...

Sharon, I love the tour of your tree and those ornament covers are fabulous, the first I've ever seen. My ornaments all have memories attached too, which is why I love them so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, I just saw where you have an RV. We do to and we get out of Fl every summer and travel around the USA.

Hugs,
Chris