Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Semi Homemade - my way



Hi everyone! It was a really hectic weekend which left me too tired for this week but it's a new week whether I'm ready or not. It's the week of final examinations at school which is a really big headache for me and stressful for everyone. I'm sure you didn't know this, but when a student fails, it is always the teacher's fault. And as students are quick to tell me, there is always someone over my head. So, already students have contacted the state level!! I'll so be glad to retire. And I may have to work one more month than I had calculated but at least the end is in sight. Enough of my moaning; now for some crafting! Yes, I can do a little something. I don't have one single Christmas present bought but I've been doing a little embrodiery for presents my daughter is giving away and some for folks at work. To me, buying plain and embellishing makes good sense. Quick and easier than starting from scratch. Sort of the way Sandra Lee does her cooking - Semi-Homemade. I bought Cassie a little velour warm-up suite and put some snowflakes and "I believe" on the back of the jacket. Oh, those stars I sewed on; they are buttons but flat on the back so they will be comfortable. Why didn't I just embrodiery them, too? Oh if you must know, I made a mistake!! I know that's hard to believe but I did and when I took it out there was a teeny, tiny, little hole there so I sewed a star over it. Then, so that one star wouldn't look so out of place I put a few more on. All in all, however it got there, I'm pleased with the look. I even put a snow flake on the seat of the pants and the front side on one leg. I've embroidered initials on two purses (which Joy is giving for Christmas) and put names on 4 blankets for the grandchildren of a friend at work. The other thing I've done is decopauge (can't spell that) fabric onto a glass plate. I saw this in a magazine several years ago and wanted to try it but never did. Then a couple of weeks ago, the school held a day long training session for improving customer relations. (Oh, don't get me started on how I feel about that.) The lady who did the major presentation was wonderful but I had heard her before. Her topic was Emotional Intelligence and as a "break", I guess, she demonstrated how to do this! She used Christmas fabric but I just used what I had. The rooster is a rub on and I used two different fabrics from which I learned a couple of lessons. The plate I saw years ago that I really, really want, was done with toile (hope that's how to spell it) and a complimentary check. That's why I did this one with different fabrics. Here's what I did wrong - you need to cut the center fabric and then cut the edge fabric with the center missing. Does that make sense? If you look closely at the photo you can see the checked fabric through the solid fabric behind the rooster. So, don't do that. I'm going to try some more of these after Christmas and I'll let you know how it goes. Just a word about the little oval platter next to the rooster plate. That little platter belonged to my mother. I know she used it for many foods but I remember her cooking bacon for breakfast and serving it on that platter. Mama used that platter a lot and I love it because of the memories it brings back for me. Mother and Daddy had a place on the lake when my children were growing up and she took that little platter to the lake house. Lots of good memories from there, too. I just love having Mama's things around to help me remember the good ole days. And just think, today is tomorrow's good ole days! A happy "today" will be good company for us when we are old! Hope all your today's make good memories for tomorrow. Till later - God bless.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your thoughts about semi homemade. If I didn't use that plan, I'd never get anything done. I love the jacket you made. It's looks beautiful.

Hugs,
Chris

Unknown said...

Lovely jacket! Nice save!

I would be having an anxiety attack if I had not started christmas shopping yet. I started last January and I'm still not done.

Too bad about the student. I'm sure you don't need the additional stress this time of year. No one does.

Lorrie said...

Hi Sharon, sorry about your stress at work, I sympathize and I'm glad the end is in sight for you.

I love the idea of semi-homemade--that's terrific!

Deare Diary said...

Hi sharon,
Thanks for the sweet comments. I went to the doctor this morning and got 2 shots and meds. Love the jacket. Teachers do not get the appreciation that they deserve. Retirement is in sight..hang in there.
Judy

The Southern Mom said...

Love your semi-homemade ideas! That jacket is so cute!

April said...

Hi Sharon,

So good to hear from you, again! Yes, Stella and I are having a grand ol' time! :)

I am proud to say that I am finally finished with my Christmas shopping. Whoo hoo! Your idea of semi-homemade is great!

Hope you have a super weekend!

Sue said...

I didn't know you embroidered too! Heck...you do it all!! I love that jacket.

Zaroga said...

Sharon I enjoyed catching up on your blog.

Your tree is beautiful!

The puppies are cute doing their tricks.

The story of the child getting sick. How awful for everyone. Our daughter did a similar thing in a department store when she was a few months old. My husband, being a first-time father, panicked and took our daughter to the military doctor immediately. A couple of years later Frank saw the entry the doctor put in our daughter's health record. It read "diagnoses; hysterical father". :-) So, although your story makes a stomach turn it also turns a smile :-)

Your embroidery is beautiful. I haven't had enough of a mind to get back to my project yet... maybe soon. I love the touch of star buttons.

I like the rooster plate and your mother's platter.... it just has a warm feeling about it.

I have an award for you.. so stop by and pick it up when you have time.

Zaroga

Rose Broadway (Rosie) said...

Sharon, I just found your blog tonight and you've done such a great job with it. Very enjoyable.

I'm a couple of years older than you and have retired. It's nice not having the responsibility, but there are days that I truly miss everyone.

Our youngest son is in his eighth year of teaching third grade. Teachers do not get the respect they deserve.

You said you did your plate the wrong way by having the fabric behind the rooster. I think it's beautiful with the check showing faintly in the background and would look too plain without it.

Keep up your wonderful blog. I've thought about starting one, but afraid my life may be just too boring!

Hugs to you, Rosie

YaYa's Funhouse said...

I enjoyed reading your blog tonight. Hang in there for retirement. I'm not as close to it as you are...:(
What kind of embroidery machine do you have? I have shopped around for one, but got overwhelmed and stopped looking for now.
Merry Christmas

Sharon said...

To Panda 707 -
Thanks for coming by and for your kind and supportive comments. I hope you will come by often and leave me a message when you do. Let me encourage you to start your own blog! I would love to have a new blog friend and I'm sure your life is no more boring than mine! It's the friendships you make that will keep you coming back to blogworld. You'd be surprised how close you feel these friends even if you have never seen them face to face. Nice thing to experience. Hope to hear from you again soon.

Picket said...

Hey girl...That turned out beautiful! Hope all is well for you & yours and I thank you so much for coming by to check on me! Have a Merry Christmas sweetie!

Picket said...

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas dear friend! May the day be filled with love & joy & lots of memory making moments!