Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Teddy Bear Ride















Saturday was the Teddy Bear ride and DH and his buddy, Steve, took a few of their closest fuzzy friends to The Children's Hospital. There were over 500 bikers in this year's ride and $24,000 was raised for the hospital. I'm sure the riders enjoy the ride which raises the money, but the best treat is to see the children's faces when all those motorcycles drive up to the hospital and the guys go in and start giving stuffed animals away. Some of those little kids can really get to your heart in a hurry. Last year a little boy wanted Pop's Teddy Bear Ride pin from his Harley vest so Pop took it off and gave it to him. Pop got another pin this year and he made it home with this one. This is the first year Pop has every lost a rider; that white gorilla came off the bike on the freeway and was gone. I hope someone at the end of the ride scooped it up and took it on to the children.






David had a big weekend as well. He was one of those 10,000 Boy Scouts at Talladega! We are so proud of David and all he has done with the Scouts. This past summer he was induced into the Order of the Arrow. He has been going to OA meetings and is learning to perform the Native American dances. There were lots of these dance teams at 'Dega this weekend. Here are some of the groups that were there dancing.

Don't they look great! Now here are our boys-------

Isn't that PITIFUL!!! They almost didn't get to dance because their costumes were soooo awful! Joy, of course, volunteered me to make them some costumes. Is she nuts! I can't make those outfits. I'll just have to help them sell doughnuts! David is in the green shirt, third from the right. And goodness, he can't dance any better than I can. Bless his heart. He's out there trying and doing his best. Can't ask for more and what he accomplishes takes much more effort than for others. If you have any ideas about how to make those costumes, let me know. I know for sure I can't do that head dress! Have a great weekend coming up and God bless!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Sharon, you can do it! Just look at it as a fun challenge. Start at the bottom (shoes) and work your way up. Or, pick it apart like making the vest, then the pants etc. I think you can come up with something really nice.

Lorrie said...

Hi Sharon--I just love the Teddy Bear ride! What a great thing to do for the kids at the Children's Hospital--I know it means so much not only to the children but to their parents too.

It's fun to see the dance teams too!

The Southern Mom said...

Awww, the teddy bear pin was so sweet! Hope someone found that gorilla. Sounds like a good cause to be part of!

Lorrie said...

Sharon, Stop by my blog, I've left you a book tag!