Friday, November 14, 2008

Book Tag

Hey, yall! This sounds like fun. My friend, Lorrie, over at The View from My Door , has tagged me with a book tag. There are some rules so here they are:The rules are:

1. Link to the person who tagged you and post the rules on your blog.

2. Share seven random and/or weird book facts about yourself.

3. Tag seven random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.

4. Let each person know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

When I first read the rules, I missed the word "book" and thought it was asking for seven random and/or WEIRD facts about me, which would not be a problem to supply but let me see what I can do with BOOK facts. Here we go:

1. My favorite book is one that I have never read cover to cover but I plan to before I die - the Bible. My grandmother (Daddy's mother) was crippled for the little time I knew her and she sat all day in the same chair always reading the Bible. She spoke little but read a lot. She was 80 years old when I was born; died at the age of 88 and had read the Bible cover to cover a total of 44 times.

2. Some of you are not going to like this but--- I like to write in my Bible. Sometimes I'll mark a verse with a date meaning that on that day I read this verse and it had a special meaning for me that day. In Bible studies, I write notes in the margin of my Bible. One reason I do this is that I want my children to find those notes after I'm gone and I hope those notes will be meaningful for them. I got this idea from one of the books I got from an aunt's home after she died. She had a daily devotional in which she had made similar notes and it was astounding to me! She really journaled before journaling was popular. She could write well and had ideas that I had never dreamed she would have. It was really special to me. And she wasn't even my favorite relative!

3. Last year for Christmas, I asked for and was given the whole Narnia series. I didn't even know they were children's books. I absolutely loved them!! I read every night before going to bed until I finished them all and was sad when I had them completed. Can't say there are many books that I would read again but these I certainly will.

4. One of my favorite authors is Robert Fulghum. Never heard of him? I'm not surprised. He wrote a little series of books that I would recommend to anyone. They are All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten , Uh-Oh, and It Was On Fire When I Lay Down on It . These books are written with a healthy dose of humor and lots of thought provoking wisdom. I highly recommend them.

5. If you've read my very first posting, you know that both my mother and my best friend died in the span of two months (October - December) in 2003. I grieved for a very long time. My daughter bought me a book by John R. Claypool titled Tracks of a Fellow Struggler . If you are going through a time of grief or know someone who is this little book may be a very helpful.

6. I'm fat so you could really guess this one if I was brave enough to post a picture of myself but I collect, read, and love COOKBOOKS! I have old ones from my early married years and even my mother's cookbook. She only had one. When I go on vacation I'm very likely to bring back a cookbook. One of my favorites is "Forgotten Recipes". This book is a collection of recipes from the '20s, '30s, 40's, and '50's. The author searched old magazines and newspapers to make the collection. She also included interesting facts of the day in which the recipe was published.

Gosh, I'm worried 7 weird facts won't be enough! So, there may be 2 facts in this last one.

7. I buy craft books of all kinds! I have books on quilting, knitting, crochet, beading, sewing, decorating, machine embroidery, decorative painting, --all sorts of things I would love to do but don't have time. Somehow buying the book makes me think I have it, I can do it. Like textbooks I collect at work. If I have the book, I know the material. You know it doesn't work that way, don't you?

And finally, I have what I think is an original copy of Gone With the Wind. I don't know for sure but the book was my mother's and it was published in the '40's.

Now here are my 7 tags:
Zaroga at Zaroga's Nook
Apryl at The Parker Kids
Sue at The Cotton Patch
Milah at From My Back Porch
Connie at Connie's Turning 50
Dot at Picket's Place
Jill at At Home in the Country

If there are any other book lovers among you please feel free to take this tag too!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Sharon,
That was a great post about your books. I love to read, too! I read Gone with the Wind right after my son was born.

I plan on doing my book post tomorrow!

~Jill

Apryl said...

Hey Sharon!!!Hope all is well with you on the other campus. This is quite the daunting task. I will give it my best try. It may take me a little while though but stay tuned.

Connie said...

I write in my bible too and have for years. I can't change bibles and have tried but I can find everything in my bible that my hubby gave me over 30 years ago. It's hanging by a thread on the spine and I have it in a nice case so it stays together. I hope my children will read it and use it after I'm gone. It is real neat to look back at your notes and see how often a pastor preaches on a certain scripture too. Thanks for the tag. I promise to do it soon! COnnie

Zaroga said...

I like learning a bit more about you.

Thank you, Sharon. I promise I will do this soon :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Zaroga