Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm doing a happy dance!

I'm not the brightest candle on the cake - to say the least - and I've discovered an error in my thinking that just makes me sooo happy. I know that sounds crazy ( refer to post before last) but here's what happened. You know I've been planning to retire on June 1. Has to be the first day of the month you retire so June 1 is to be my retirement date because it gets me through this semester. For retirement purposes, your average yearly earnings are calculated on a July 1 thru June 30 basis so I really need to work through June to get a full year's worth of earnings. Until last week I thought I'd just take sick leave for that month and then someone pointed out that I'd have to have a summer contract to take sick leave. Well, of course you do! So, taking sick time for June is out of the question. I was really bummed out until it finally dawned on me that the last day of my current contract is May 14! Do you know what that means?! That means May 14 is my LAST DAY TO WORK! Can you believe that! After twenty years at this place and ten more at other stops - I'm done! Happy dance, Happy dance, Happy dance. If you could see this happy dance you'd see a big old fat woman jumping up and down like a beach ball bouncing in the surf! Thank you God!

Life really goes fast and when you hit fifty it picks up speed. It is hard to believe that all of the parts of my life that I ever looked forward to are gone. I have never really "looked forward" to retirement. My friend Judy and I used to talk about retiring. She wanted to retire but I would say, "Why would anyone want to retire? The next jumping off point is DEAD." Well, you know Judy died. She was retired for one year before she died but she retired only because she was terminally ill. Now, I'm retiring. I don't know exactly what to expect. My instruction manual didn't go this far. What I do know is, I'm delighted to be so near the end of my work years. I also know, I'm going to make the rest of my life the best of my life. When I get all the details worked out, I'll let you know.

There are very few things that I have had throughout my married life - besides Pop. One of those things is a kitchen plaque on which is a kitchen prayer. I wanted to take a picture of it and post it but the print is very small so I'll just share the poem with you. Here it is:

KITCHEN PRAYER
Lord of all pots and pans and things,
Since I've not time to be a saint
By doing lovely things
Or watching late with Thee
Or dreaming in the dawn light
Or storming Heaven's gates
Make me a saint by getting
Meals and washing up the plates.

Although I must have Martha's hands,
I have a Mary mind
And when I black the boots and shoes
Thy sandals, Lord I find.
I think of how they trod the earth,
What time I scrub the floor
Accept this meditation Lord,
I haven't time for more.

Warm all the kitchen with Thy love,
And light it with Thy peace
Forgive me all my worrying
And make my grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give me food,
In room or by the sea
Accept this service that I do,
I do it unto Thee.
Klara Munkres

You see, I never intended to be a career woman. I always wanted to be a housewife and mother. I was totally devoted to the idea of being a mother and homemaker. So when I read this poem, it summed up my life's ambitions. I don't particularly like the plaque itself; it isn't even pretty, but the poem spoke to me so plainly, I loved it instantly and it has been in my kitchen now for well over 30 years. For the first ten years of our marriage, I was that mother and housewife. Today when I read the poem, it reminds me of where I wanted to go with my life. And as I plan to retire from a career I really never wanted, it seems strange that where I wanted to go and where I went are so different. I never wanted to be a nurse; my mother wanted me to be a nurse. I hated every minute of nursing school. I wanted to be a teacher. But God knew what I needed before I did and in the end it has been a wonderful career. Being a nurse has allowed me to provide for my family and it has given us security that we, as a family, would not have otherwise had. For the last 20 years I've been able to combine nursing and teaching and have the best of both worlds. As a bonus, I've touched a life or two along the way and made them a bit better. I know that because I've had students and former students tell me so. So I'm grateful to God for blessing me with the career I've enjoyed for all these years. Hind sight is 20/20 and I can see all along the trail, God has been so good to me. But to tell you the truth. The absolute best jobs I've ever had are "mother" and "housewife". I'm not retiring from those two jobs! Till later, God bless.
Sharon

17 comments:

Sue said...

That's wonderful news, Sharon! I remember how good it felt when I retired from education. People are always asking me if I miss it and I don't mind telling them "NO" because I've moved on to other things that I enjoy and find fulfilling. Don't ever think that you will be bored or won't know what to do with your time. You will find that you don't have enough time to do every thing you want. I work at the church office every day but Wednesday and yesterday was FULL....I made a pot of soup and cornbread for someone in our church who is alone and was on my mind. I see you finding things to do that you will need more hours in your day.....ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT on MAY 14th!!!!!

Unknown said...

Sharon,
That was a lovely post. I know what you mean about only wanting to be a wife and mother. That was my calling from God too however, He also called me to work outside of the home on occasions when we needed the additional income. I liked it only because God provided it for me. I've worked part-time jobs in banking, accounting and as a mail carrier. My favorite job so far was being a wife, mother and grandmother. When you retire, you will be surprised at how quickly your time will fill up!
Blessings!

Zaroga said...

I think you will handle retirement well. You have a great attitude. May 14th isn't that far away! I thought life picked up speed when I hit 40... and then it sped up just a bit more when I hit 50. Love the Kitchen Prayer. If you don't like how the plaque looks... maybe you could make up a new one when you retire :-)

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Sharon, As I read your post my mind was thinking....she is talking about me. I, too, am a nurse...because that was what my Dad wanted. I have worked in the profession for many years and am grateful that I am able to provide for my family. Can hardly wait until I am able to retire as well. May 14th will be here in a "flash". Just another adventurous chapter in your life. I always enjoy your blog. God Bless you....I'm also sure your dachs will love your retirement as well.

The Southern Mom said...

Sweet post! I don't think you're going to have any problem with retirement. 50 is the new 30! (or so they tell me!) You'll have to dust that sewing machine off and start quilting! Plus...you'll have more time to blog!

Lorrie said...

Sharon this is a wonderful post--straight from your heart. Although I do work, I was home with my children when they were small, and being a wife and mother has been the thing I love the best.

I'm glad your finish line is so close--I'm sure you'll jump right into retirement.

I'm glad you've started the Mitford series, I just love it, and I hope you do too.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Sharon! I am soooo happy for you! I've been retired for a year and a half now and I have never been so happy!! Congrats!...Debbie

Anonymous said...

Sharon, first congrats to you on your retirement. I've been retired for 9 years now. At first I missed my job so badly, but we travel in the summer months now, so I'm always so busy when I'm home now. I'm sure you will love retirement.

Hugs,
Chris

Picket said...

That is fantastic news girl...I am rejoicing with you! You will enjoy being home and doing what you love best! Hope you are staying warm with this freezing weather we are having right now..take care and have a great weekend!

Terry said...

Congratulations Sharon! I'm sure you will enjoy every minute of your retirement.

Terry

Carol said...

Sharon,
Congratulations on your approaching retirement! I retired from teaching for 30 years on June 1st. I simply love being retired! I'm having the time of my life. I loved teaching, but the stress was really wearing me down. I feel like a new person after a few months of rest & relaxation! I'm excited about becoming a 1st time grandma in February!
Smiles,
Carol

Anonymous said...

http://www.riverbendcamping.com Sharon this is where we stayed and is a very nice park. I think that is very smart to go on short trips and get comfortable with your travels. We stay in a lot of COE parks, they have water and electric., but no sewer. They will have a dump station. Around Atlanta, there are many many COE parks and if you have the Golden Age Passport, you pay half price and you can stay a max of 2 weeks. I'll be glad to help you in any way that I know. I have so many web sites that I use to look up parks , I'll be more than happy to share anything that I have with you.

Happy Trails,
Chris

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi! I've left two awards for you on my blog if you would like to have them! No pressure to pass them along.... Have a great day...Debbie

Deare Diary said...

After retirement you can continue blessing us with your blog. Maybe you will have more time to inspire, entertain, and encourage us. I really enjoy reading your posts.
Judy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,
I happened upon your blog and enjoyed reading your post. I'm a nurse too. I tetired in 2006. It was a big decision but the best one I could have made. It's really nice to be home, go to functions, and do some of the things I've always wanted to do. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at just how busy you will be. I never planned on being a nurse either but GOD has a way of directing our lives.

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Where oh where has Sharon gone??
When you return come on over to my blog and get your Lemonade Award. Thanks for your prayers and support for our little twins.
THanks again, have a great day!!

Picket said...

Hey girl..just came by to say I hope all is well on your side of the mountain and that you are having a great weekend!