
It was really, really cold this morning so I didn't get up and go to church. Well, besides I've got a little bit of head cold and my ears feel funny (look funny, too). And if you must know, the girl at the drop-in-anytime place where I get my hair cut just scalped me on Wednesday so----gotta wait a week more to have enough hair for church! We slept in trying to stay warm so we had breakfast for lunch. Pancakes and sausage with coffee today. Which brings me to my topic of the day.
My dogs are both preachers and today it was Harley's turn to preach me a sermon --which I needed since I didn't hear the preacher's today. Here's what happened. Pop always gives the puppies part of his meal as a treat. That's one reason they are so fat but we just look at it as well loved! So, when Pop had eaten all he wanted, he chopped up a little remnant of pancake and a half piece of sausage in a plate for Harley. He called Harley, who was none too swift in leaving his spot in front of the heater; then put the plate in the floor for Harley. Now mind you this was just for Harley! Stoney was sitting by my chair waiting patiently for whatever I had to offer which had been very little up to this point. Harley goes over to his plate, takes a sniff and then..........walks around the table to see what Stoney had to eat!!! Not satisfied with the bounty he had been given, he wanted to make sure there wasn't something better on the other side of the table for Stoney. Can you see the lesson here? When I saw Harley do this, I immediately thought that I've done the same thing with my blessings many times. Why do we do that?
I've seen Harley actually lose a treat trying to make sure Stoney didn't have a better one. (Though this morning he didn't !) My Stoney is pretty quick and sometimes when Harley comes to investigate his treat, Stoney makes a bee-line for what Harley had. Often Stoney gets them both! Wonder how many blessings I've missed trying to make sure someone didn't have a better blessing than mine.
Till next time, here's hoping we can be grateful for all our blessings this year and not miss them by envying someone else's. Chances are, ours is just as good if not better as that other person's. Paricularly since God has prepared it especially for us just like Pop had prepared that treat just for Harley. What we need to do recognize it and be grateful.
Sharon
10 comments:
How funny, Sharon! Harley does indeed preach a good lesson! I hope you are staying warm and feeling better! I know what you mean about the haircut! lol I used to wear some big earrings after a haircut, hoping that would distract! Happy Sunday...hugs...Debbie
Sorry about your bad haircut!! Isn't it really cold over there at the moment?? Maybe you could wear a cute beanie til it all grows back ;o)??
Love how Harley's preaching for you ~ your last sentence says it all "... recognise it and be grateful".
Wise words Sharon :o).
Hugs,
Joy :o)
What a great sermon illustration Sharon. I think we all behave like Harley at times and this story is a great reminder to be grateful for our many blessings.
Amen!!!I enjoyed reading this and loved the clever way Harley illustrated the lesson. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Elizabeth
LOVE your preachin prrrruuupppies, Sharon!! I'm sure we have all robbed ourselves of God's best! God's little life blessings are just the best, aren't they?
You're a delight gal! Have a joyful week!
HUGS,
Becky
Oh and you are so lovely...I'm sure your hair looks great!! You just beam my dear!
:o)
Becky
your last sentence says it all "... recognise it and be grateful".
Work from home India
what an awesome lesson. I love seeing pics of Harley and Stoney!!. Makes me miss "Badger" so much....He was our little mini dach.
Thanks for sharing about the Amish and adding your pictures! It was very nice. I have been through the Amish Ohio country several times, and enjoyed it very much. Looks like you have a nice family and loving dogs also! Enjoy life and love!
Thanks for sharing about the Amish and adding your pictures! It was very nice. I have been through the Amish Ohio country several times, and enjoyed it very much. Looks like you have a nice family and loving dogs also! Enjoy life and love!
Post a Comment