Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dog Biscuits from Stoney

It has been six months today since Stoney went away. There is not a day that goes by without his memory .still vivid in my heart. I wish that I had the talent to write a book so I could document all the lessons I learned from Stoney. Of course the book would be titled: Dog Biscuits from Stoney. It may sound silly but I really did learn a lot from him. I'd have chapters on faithfulness, patience, ,love, loyalty, forgiveness, courage, hospitality and worship. There may be others but these come to mind without effort. Let me just share one story. Since I've been on Facebook I've taken a lot of those little quizzes. I'm really a sucker for them. Just have to know which flower I'd be, or what color, or what decade I should have lived in. So, when I saw a quiz that would tell me what spiritual gifts I have, I took it immediately. Now this is a topic to which I've given some thought and I had decided that my spiritual gifts include mercy and teaching. Guess what my only spiritual gift is according to the quiz? Worship! Certainly would have never thought that on my own. In fact, I considered that a fairly useless gift. Seems like just about everyone would have that one. In the explanation of "worship", the author of the quiz even made the statement that he (or she) didn't know why, but God enjoys our worship. Does that sound special or what! So as you can guess, I blew off that information and didn't give it much more thought. Then Stoney died. I spent hours every day trying to figure out why I was so devastated. He was just a dog. You know, "I had a dog, he got sick and died" and that's that. But as I thought about Stoney all I could remember was how much his happiness depended on my presence. He felt safe with me, he was happiest when with me; when he saw me his whole appearance perked up. When I prepared to leave the house, his eyes asked "can I go?" I was everything to Stoney. In fact - he worshiped me. And that's why I loved him so much. That's why I miss him so much. And suddenly I understood why God enjoys our worship so much. My mother used to say that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach. There is probably some truth to that but I'm sure that the way to God's heart is through worship. And I'll bet you can guess that I've decided "worship" is just about the best spiritual gift you can have.
Till next time -
Sharon

1 comment:

squawmama said...

Great post Sharon... You should write a book... It woould be great!
{{{HUGS}}}
Donna